Powerpoint 2007 presenter view

I love (!!!!) the new Powerpoint 2007 presenter view functionality! I absolutely love it!

Normally you’d have the full slide on both the beamer and your own screen. With Powerpoint 2007 you can set the presentation on your second monitor, as seen on the right. In my case, this is the beamer. Then check the presenter view option, also shown on the right. Now start the slideshow.

It will now show the full slide on the beamer, but will give you a special “presenter view” (hence the name ;-). You’ll get to see the current slide on your workstation (laptop in my case) and your notes on the right. At the bottom of the screen you’ll get to see a bunch of slides that’ll come next.

Of course for a presenter, this is a great enhancement to Powerpoint. It’s a Powerpoint feature, so it doesn’t matter if you’re running XP, Vista or another Windows version. It’s much simpler though if you’re running Vista, because it’ll ask you if you want to extend your desktop or just ‘clone’ the desktop to the beamer. In Windows XP you’ll have to set this up in your display properties. Select the second monitor and choose to extend the desktop. Again, don’t forget to set the second monitor to show the presentation on.

view of desktop when presenting

Technorati tags: ,

1. powerpointer says:

This feature is not new, at all! It is at least 5 years old, it was already included in my Office XP…

2. Don’t just make that statement, tell me where! 🙂
    I’ve never ever seen it and I believe this was one of the new features presented on a blog, but I could be mistaken

3. powerpoint says:

Yes, this option is nothing new.

How to get to it in previous versions:
    Slide Show > Set Up Show… > Show Presenter View

4. Dennis- Don’t let the replies sting too much. I’ve been doing serious presentation work with Power Point since day one and I managed to miss it too.

THANK YOU. I’m involved in a very heavy schedule thru first quarter and this little feature just knocked my socks off!

Bill J

5. MMG says:

I have been using presenter view for some time in XP. I now have ppt 2007 – There is one task I [And I’m sure many others] would like to be able to do with ppt 2007 – ADD NARRATION using presenter notes…..As soon as you go into add narration you end up with a full screen – so notes not visible – go to presenter view – you have the presenter notes on prime monitor – but you cannot click ‘Add Narration’ Am I missing something here?

6. Garrett says:

While using the presenter view, can you be away from your laptop and use some type of remote presenter click device? I can’t seem to get mine to move the slides up and down, although it will darken and reverse the screen.

Thanks for your help

7. Dennis van der Stelt says:

@Garrett : Probably the monitor with the presenter view has focus or something. Perhaps you should click on the audience screen and set it’s focus so the remote presenter will work.

If not, you can use shortcuts like left + right or pgup & pgdn or something. But that’s not what you’re looking for 🙂

But why use presenter mode when you’re not behind the keyboard?

8. Garrett says:

Dennis,

Why use presenter mode when you’re not behind the keyboard?

It’s nice to be able to walk away from the podium from time to time.

thanks for the tips.

Garrett

9. Rainer says:

@Garrett
    Most remote controller send pgup/pgdn to advance/return slides. PP presenter view expect space/back space or cursor left/cursor right to advance/return slides. pgup/pgdn in PP presenter view is to scroll up/down the presenter notes *aagrrrrrrr*

I tried to change the shortcuts in PP presenter view without success. -> If anybody knows how to do, please post it here.

Cheers Rainer