High availability

1. Frank says:

Many thanks for the great article. I do have a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

“These “Business Components” enable us to modify and maintain each of them independently knowing that the chance of breaking code somewhere else is practically nonexistent.”

Is “Business Component” a mini system that owns ui, app services, domain model and db? or it owns everything mentioned above except ui layer?

“What we did was to take the component deployed to the back-end and make it a part of our front-end web servers as well, enabling much earlier updates than before and a much better user experience.”

Do you mean that by doing this, you can call some business logic in the component in-process(front end) and other logic remotely(back end)?

2. Dennis van der Stelt says:

@Frank: The first question is really hard to answer. And if I answer it, I’ll spoil everything for the DotNed usergroup! ;) But if you’re Dutch, you should really come. I’ll try to answer it Friday next week!

The second question has to do with this article:

We have a small component and just distribute it on multiple locations. We use it in the backend to verify something, but also deployed it to our front-end. That way it can also be verified in the front-end. It’s like having a single piece of code for validation of an email address, but our code goes much further. It needs more logic, database, etc. So yes, we call it in the front-end and in the back-end. No changes to code, no changes to logical diagrams, just changed deployment diagram. :)

3. Frank says:

@Dennis Thanks again for the quick reply. Unfortunately I live in Australia. We’re facing the same issue you had. That’s why I asked.

4. Dennis van der Stelt says:

@Frank : Contact me via my weblog and we can exchange some info via email!

5. Martin says:

@Dennis I’d be keen to hear more information as well, living in NZ so cant make the user group

6. Impressive post. I’ve known about these concepts for years, but never seen them used in this “big buffer” style (big enough to stay busy for a server restart at least). I think I’ve summarized this nicely on my blog, the Hacker’s Valhalla (http://bit.ly/Sal43q). Thank you.

7. N.G. says:

@Dennis like Martin & Frank I’m also living outside the Netherlands and would really like to hear more about this, esp. the answer to Frank’s first question on the business component. Would be really nice to get at least a follow up post after the DNUG meeting…

8. Dennis van der Stelt says:

I will post a follow up! :)

9. Stacy says:

I look forward to your follow-up too! Thanks.

10. Thank you for this excellent post! Love the concept and the article. Really great you are sharing this!
    Unfortunately I can not make it to the DNUG, so really looking forward to any further material you are willing to share!
    Good luck and fun next week :)

11. Alex says:

I look forward to your follow-up! Cheers

1. February 19, 2014

[…] my article on High Availability I mentioned business components. The most often asked question is what these business components […]