WCF Part 4 : Make your service visible through metadata

1. You may be pleased to know that Microsoft will release a service factory for WCF services next month!!!

2. I’m not sure I care… From what I’ve seen so far, the service factory isn’t my kind of thing.

You made a post that at TechEd they had a service up and running in 10 minutes. I can do this by hand in under 30 seconds!

3. Jean-Paul Smit says:

What is the extra you get by adding an ‘mex’ endpoint?
    I noticed you can generate a client by just adding a behaviour and have the ‘httpgetenabled’ set to true.

Can you tell a bit more about what the mex is for?

4. The Metadata behavior will generate your WSDL and XSD. It kind of crawls over your contracts, looks at them and generates these xml documents.

When you want to provide this through HTTP you must specifiy HttpGetEnabled. But when you use the service-util (svcutil.exe) you don’t need the http-get.

In the old days (before the June 2006 Beta) the MEX endpoint was added automatically. I figure about 80% of the demo-code available on the internet, doesn’t comply anymore to the MEX endpoints you now have to add manually. :)

Anyway, MEX endpoints are more than http-gets, you can also support https, tcp, etc. Where in the asmx days, you always had your WSDL via HTTP. You can also choose to NOT have a MEX endpoint and provide your customers with a WSDL and XSD’s of your own.

5. Michael says:

Okay, so this is all well and good. I take it the examples are done using a full version of Visual Studio? What do you do if you’re trying to walk through these examples and all you’ve got is Visual C# Express 2010?

6. Dennis van der Stelt says:

@Michael : As far as I know, should work exactly the same. The only difference is that you don’t have the team building stuff and some advanced remote debugging of assemblies in Express, plus no AddOn support. Should work exactly the same for everything else.

7. erum says:

can any one correct my service problem

<!–
    The section enables configuration of the security authentication mode used by ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. –>

<!–
    The section enables configuration of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs during the execution of a request. Specifically, it enables developers to configure html error pages to be displayed in place of a error stack trace. –>

my email address is [email protected]

8. sam says:

hi dennis,
    I have a problem! after following your steps the generated app.config file for service does not contain (service behaviorConfiguration=”HelloServiceBehavior” )
    and i add it by hand to app.config, where is my mistake?

9. Tung says:

I’ve created a service in which three bussiness endpoints are. I’ve also created a mex endpoint to describe them. But I want to show only two endpoints. So How can I do that? Thanks.